Everyone desires to have a sparkling smile. But not all are naturally blessed with a gorgeous smile. Teeth whitening procedures are gaining momentum to help millions achieve an aesthetically appealing smile.
Teeth whitening Bayside specialists offer innovative and advanced methods to help you achieve the desired level of brightness and boost your self-confidence.
The concept of teeth whitening
Teeth whitening is a dental procedure that aims to lighten your teeth and make them appear brighter and whiter.
This procedure involves applying a gel that consists of an active ingredient such as hydrogen peroxide. This gets activated when targeted by a laser or UV (ultraviolet) light, breaking down into tiny oxygen bubbles, which are responsible for eliminating the stains on your teeth surfaces.
Causes of tooth discoloration
Teeth discoloration is often considered as an aging process, due to wearing away of the enamel surface. This exposes the underlying dark dentin, thereby imparting a yellow tint to the teeth.
Other possible causes of tooth discoloration include:
- Drinking excess tea, coffee, or red wine
- Eating curry sauce or berries
- Prolonged use of certain medications such as tetracyclines, and antibiotics
In-office teeth whitening is better than at-home
Teeth whitening systems are available in two forms namely, in-office, and at-home whitening methods.
However, the in-office teeth whitening system is considered superior, owing to the following reasons:
- Using strong bleaching agents that are highly concentrated
- Using lasers that are better than LED lights to activate the bleaching agent
- Close monitoring by the dentist to check the progress and adjust the treatment as needed
- Effectively protects your gums and lips since it is done under the supervision of an experienced dental specialist
- The quickest way to brighten your teeth
- Provides brighter and whiter teeth in just one visit
- Provides long-lasting results
The procedure involved in teeth whitening
Your dentist will first evaluate the extent of stains and discoloration to determine the concentration of the bleaching agent required.
Your dentist will apply a carbamide or hydrogen peroxide bleaching solution to your teeth and activate it with a special laser. The process will be repeated until the desired shade is achieved.
The process usually takes around an hour to provide dramatic results.
Maintaining the results of teeth whitening procedure
The results of your teeth whitening procedure may last for several months. However, this depends on how well you maintain it.
You can extend your results by:
- Avoiding teeth staining foods and drinks
- Limiting consumption of soda and sugary beverages
- Brushing and flossing regularly
- Getting teeth cleanings every 6 months
Getting follow-up whitening procedures once or twice yearly can also help enhance the results and maintain them for a longer time.