Varicose veins are prevailing globally for several reasons, and this is commonly seen among women. These twisted and enlarged veins can cause painful symptoms that require prompt treatment.
Dr. Ariel Soffer Aventura is a board-certified cardiologist who offers advanced techniques like sclerotherapy and Varithena to destroy diseased veins and enhance your leg health.
Understanding varicose veins
Varicose veins are common leg conditions characterized by bluish-green enlarged, gnarled veins giving a ropey appearance.
Varicose veins often develop due to a faulty one-way valve system of your leg veins. This leads to disruption of the blood flow back to the heart. As a result, excess blood pools within the affected veins, stretching the walls. As the pressure within the veins increases, they overstretch and bulge out under the skin’s surface. This phenomenon is known as chronic venous insufficiency.
- Family history
- Being a female
- Prolonged standing or sitting
- Heavy weight lifting
- History of blood clots
- Tobacco use
Manifestations and signs
- Rope-like bluish-purple veins in your lower legs
- Leg pain and heaviness
- Itching and burning sensation
- Leg cramps
- Skin discoloration
Treatment of varicose veins depends on the type and severity of the symptoms. Your doctor may recommend the following modalities:
- Conservative approach
- Leg elevation
- Physical therapy
- Regular exercise
- Dietary changes
- Compression stockings
- Noninvasive procedures
- Sclerotherapy: Injecting chemical solutions into the affected vein to seal it.
- Endovenous ablation: Using laser beams or radiofrequency energy to seal the affected vein and rerouting the blood flow to other healthy veins.
- Vein ligation: Surgical removal of the affected vein using surgical tools through small incisions.
- Varithena- A revolutionary treatment for varicose veins
Varithena is a non-surgical procedure that helps treat varicose veins through one or two needle sticks. It uses Varithena polidocanol injectable foam 1%, which is an FDA-approved prescription medicine.
When Varithena is injected into the affected vein, the microfoam fills and treats the area of concern. The vein collapses, and the medicine is diluted in the bloodstream and flushed out. The blood flow shifts to the healthier veins nearby.
Efficacy of Varithena
Varithena is an effective, quick, and painless procedure to treat varicose veins.
- According to research studies, a majority of patients treated with Varithena reported a drastic improvement in the symptoms after just one treatment.
- There was a significant improvement in the aesthetic appearance of the legs post-Varithena treatment.
- The results are noticed as early as 3 to 4 weeks.
- You can resume normal activities on the same day as treatment.
Seek medical help if you experience any painful symptoms associated with varicose veins to live a pain-free life. Because you deserve it!